Sunday 16 November 2014

Paying it Forward

I heard this shaggy dog story a few years ago. At that time, it was attributed to Jimmy Pattison, a notorious Canadian one-percenter. I don't know if that part is true. The rest, of course is.

Years ago I was down on my luck
Out of work, I would sleep in my truck
And I often would curse
“Things can’t get any worse!”
‘Til the sole of my shoe came unstuck

When I walked it went “Flippity-Flop”
So I stopped at the shoe repair shop
But the cobbler was brash
And he said “Without cash
I suggest that you skip and you hop”

It was later that day, I recall
On my way to the hiring hall
My old shoe caught a crack
And I fell on my back
There I sat and I started to bawl

But a limo pulled up in the street
A tycoon helped me get to my feet
Then he pulled out a roll
That could choke any foal
Rubber banded to keep it all neat

He said “Son, I was once just like you,
And this might be the least I can do”
He then peeled off the band
Pressed it into my hand
Saying “This ought to bind up your shoe”

No comments:

Post a Comment